Tuesday, March 25, 2003

The Arab Street Speaks, From America

"The bombs have begun to fall on Baghdad. Iraqi soldiers have shot their officers and are giving themselves up to the Americans and the British in droves. Others, as in Nasiriyah and Umm Qasr, are fighting back, and civilians have already come under fire. Yet I find myself dismissing contemptuously all the e-mails and phone calls I get from antiwar friends who think they are commiserating with me because "their" country is bombing "mine." To be sure, I am worried. Like every other Iraqi I know, I have friends and relatives in Baghdad. I am nauseous with anxiety for their safety. But still those bombs are music to my ears."
So writes Kanan Makiya, who views the American attack as essential to her homeland's future. Read the whole thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home