Thursday, July 31, 2003

White Men Can't Jump

White Men Can't Jump

Okay, I'm a little late getting to this story. It's been on my list for a while and I've just been too busy recently. But this was amazing.

"OBERLIN, Ohio, Updated 1:33 p.m. EDT July 28, 2003 -- A group of parents said they will fight a possible decision to allow a white teacher to lead classes in black history at Oberlin High School. "

What more needs to be said? Would these same people require that European history be taught only by whites?

Actually, I don't know why this should surprise anyone. At Washington State University, where I work, you will not find a person of pallor in the Comparative American Studies Department, which is our catch-all victims studies. Nor will you find a male in the Women's Studies Department.

Academic ghettos are old news. So why does this story merit notice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home