Monday, September 22, 2003

What Wesley Clark Might Believe. Maybe. Today Anyway. Or Saturday.

What Wesley Clark Might Believe. Maybe. Today Anyway. Or Saturday.

Wesley Clark is now up to his third explanation for what he might have done regarding the Iraq war.

""I never would have voted for war," he said here this afternoon in an interview and in response to a question after a lecture at the University of Iowa. "What I would have voted for is leverage. Leverage for the United States to avoid a war. That's what we needed to avoid a war."

Speaking about the resolution on Thursday, General Clark said, "At the time, I probably would have voted for it, but I think that's too simple a question."

He then added: "I don't know if I would have or not. I've said it both ways, because when you get into this, what happens is you have to put yourself in a position. On balance, I probably would have voted for it."




Plus, what he might or might not believe.

"Although he considered a presidential race for a month, he balked at most questions, saying he would spend this weekend at home in Little Rock, Ark., working on policy positions. Among the issues he told voters he was not ready to discuss in detail were health care, education, employment, AIDS in Africa, the USA Patriot Act and medical marijuana. In interviews this afternoon, he referred to a talking-point tip sheet on the hot local issues of ethanol and farm subsidies.

"I don't know enough to give you a comprehensive answer at this point," he said in response to a voter's question about universal health insurance. "I know enough not to give you a comprehensive answer at this point."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home