Monday, May 24, 2004

Winning Hearts And Minds At Home

The Bush Administration has devoted a great deal of effort toward winning the hearts and minds of Iraqis. He has taken the home front for granted. The importance of tonight's speech cannot be overrated.

Michael Barone provides historical perspective. And offers advice.

When Bush speaks to the public, he might follow the example of one considerably below him in the chain of command, Marine Corps Maj. Ben Connable, who wrote is USA Today: "This is my third deployment with the 1st Marine Division to the Middle East. This is the third time I've heard the quavering cries of the talking heads predicting failure and calling for withdrawal. This is the third time I find myself shaking my head in disbelief. ... Just weeks ago, I read that the supply lines were cut, ammunition and food were dwindling, the ‘Sunni Triangle' was exploding, cleric Muqtada al-Sadr was leading a widespread Shiite revolt and the country was nearing civil war. As I write this, the supply lines are open, there's plenty of ammunition and food, the Sunni Triangle is back to status quo and Sadr is marginalized in Najaf. Once again, dire predictions of failure and disaster have been dismissed by American willpower and military professionalism."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home