Sunday, March 26, 2006

Marriage is for White People

A middle school student articulates the root of almost all that is wrong with black culture in the United States.

"Marriage is for white people."

That's what one of my students told me some years back when I taught a career exploration class for sixth-graders at an elementary school in Southeast Washington. I was pleasantly surprised when the boys in the class stated that being a good father was a very important goal to them, more meaningful than making money or having a fancy title.

"That's wonderful!" I told my class. "I think I'll invite some couples in to talk about being married and rearing children."

"Oh, no," objected one student. "We're not interested in the part about marriage. Only about how to be good fathers."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home