Thursday, November 01, 2007

"We Shouldn't Be Doing Nothing"

But, what should we do? Inquiring minds want to know, but Hillary's not saying.

Brian Williams: "What would make it crystal clear in your mind that" the U.S. "should

Senator Clinton: "I think that what we're trying to do here is put pressure on the Bush Administration. We've got to rein him in."

Reign him in? Reign in Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? Nope. She was talking about reigning in George Bush.

"We're not in my view, rushing to war. We should not be doing that. But we shouldn't be doing nothing."

One wonders how Mrs. Clinton would perform on a game show where she was asked to choose, "door number 1, door number 2 or door number 3."

The Wall Street Journal recalls other examples of her evasive performance.

A bit later Tim Russert, the other moderator, tried again: "Senator Clinton, would you pledge to the American people that Iran will not develop a nuclear bomb while you are President?"
"I intend to do everything I can to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear bomb," Mrs. Clinton replied, in a formulation that would make her husband proud. "But you won't pledge?" Mr. Russert asked.

"I am pledging I will do everything I can to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear bomb," Mrs. Clinton repeated. Mr. Russert then tried a third time, with the same ambiguous result.


And the Journal recalls Mrs. Clinton's clumsiest moment.

Senator Clinton was especially clumsy in trying to evade any clear position on New York Governor Eliot Spitzer's proposal to give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. When asked why, in her words, it "makes a lot of sense" to give licenses to illegals, her first answer sounded like an endorsement. Mr. Spitzer is trying to "fill the vacuum left by the failure of this Administration to bring about comprehensive immigration reform," she said.

But after Senator Chris Dodd disagreed, calling a license a "privilege" not a right, she broke in a moment later to clarify: "I just want to add, I did not say that it should be done, but I certainly recognize why Governor Spitzer is trying to do it." This prompted Mr. Dodd to interject that her second answer didn't sound like her first. So Mr. Russert tried again: "Do you support [Mr. Spitzer's] plan?"

"You know, Tim, this is where everybody plays gotcha," Mrs. Clinton replied. "It [Spitzer's proposal] makes a lot of sense." So, she does support it? Unfortunately, she wasn't done speaking. "Do I think this is the best thing for any Governor to do? No." At that point, Mr. Williams changed the subject.

This particular exchange reminded me of her husband's efforts to simultaneously occupy two positions on the 1991 Gulf War.

"I guess I would have voted for the majority if it was a close vote. But I agree with the arguments the minority made."

A far smoother answer than John Kerry's “I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it.” "

Clearly the primary lesson she gained from her experience as First Lady is the value of obfuscation. Unfortunately for her, she lacks her her husband's comfort level with dishonesty.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home